Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Adventure Begins...


Welcome to my peace corps adventure journal!

I have recently received (and accepted) my Peace Corps placement in Vanuatu and I am scheduled to leave on September 21, 2007. My estimated return date is December 2009. In Vanuatu, I will be teaching "secondary mathematics" in one of six Vanuatu provinces.


In case anyone is curious, Vanuatu is a nation composed of roughly 83 islands and located about 1090 miles east of Australia in the Pacific Ocean. The national languages are English, French, and Bislama. Vanuatu natives are called ni-Vanuatu.


In my research, I have learned several other interesting facts about Vanuatu:


1. Ni-Vanuatu killed and ate the first missionaries to land on their island. I am not sure what the current status of cannibalism is in Vanuatu, but I plan on doing some further investigation.

2. Vanuatu is home to the world's only legal narcotic, a substance called Kava.

3. According to the Happy Planet Index ("an index of human well-being and environmental impact") Vanuatu was rated the happiest nation on the planet.


For more information about Vanuatu, here are some websites to visit:

http://www.peacecorps.vu/: official Peace Corps Vanuatu site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanuatu: brief facts about Vanuatu
http://www.vanuatutourism.com/: Vanuatu tourism website

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey... great picture... i hope you have a great time when you go... but i have to ask... what are ya nuts... your going to the other side of the world... just be careful

hortman said...

It sounds like fun...but be careful of the mystery meat.

krishna kashyap av said...

Very fun full.
Great to read,,
Thanks a lot for the post.
Work from home India